The end of the year is always a time for reflection. It’s a chance to step back, check what’s working and plan any improvements that need making.
Effective decision making should be backed up by hard information.
To help, we’ve curated some of the most important statistics about website design, mobile users, ecommerce and customer experience to help inspire your 2018 digital plans.
Website design statistics
- A typical user will form an opinion about a website in 50 milliseconds (0.05 seconds). Behaviour and Information Technology Journal.
- 75% of users admit to making judgements about a company’s credibility based on their website’s design. Stanford Persuasive Technology Lab.
- When it eliminated the ‘hamburger menu’ on its mobile app, Spotify saw overall clicks increase 9% and menu clicks increase 30%. Spotify.
- 82% of marketing and digital professionals say their organisation values creativity and 75% are investing in design to differentiate their brand. Adobe Digital Trends Report.
When it eliminated the ‘hamburger menu’ from its mobile app, Spotify saw total clicks increase by 9%
- More than 40% of online transactions are now done on mobile. Think with Google.
- For every second delay in mobile page load time, conversions can fall by up to 20%. Think with Google.
- 73% of mobile internet users say that they’ve encountered a website that was too slow to load. Kissmetrics.
- More than 90% of B2B buyers reporting a superior mobile experience say they are likely to buy from the same vendor again. Think with Google.
- 52% of people say they’re less likely to re-engage with a brand following a bad mobile experience. WOW Local Marketing
- 35% of UK consumers say they start hunting for a product in physical stores while 63% start through digital channels. SapientRazorfish.
- 48% of shoppers compare prices on their mobile while they are in-store. SapientRazorfish.
- 52% of international ecommerce traffic comes from mobile devices. SapientRazorfish.
- 50% of executives recognise that mobile has a key role to play in customer experience. Econsultancy.
- Only 6% of organisations currently regard themselves as ‘very advanced’ at customer experience on mobile. Econsultancy.
For every extra second of mobile page load time, conversions can fall by up to 20%
- Average weekly online spend is now £1.1bn in the UK. That’s up 15.6% compared with last year. Office for National Statistics.
- Online retail spending accounted for 16.4% of all retail spending in one month of the year. Office for National Statistics.
- On average, 69% of online shopping carts are abandoned. Baymard Institute.
- 61% of customers say extra costs like shipping were the key reason behind cart abandonment. Baymard Institute.
- Large e-commerce retailers can increase conversions by 35% if they improve checkout design. Baymard Institute.
- Mobile searches for “____ brands” jumped significantly during the 2016 holiday season. Searches for “men’s watch brands” increased 70% and “makeup brands” increased 150%. Think with Google.
- 73% of SME retailers believe that competition from larger online retailers is the biggest threat to their short-term success. Shutl.
- 34% of SME retailers think smarter ecommerce technology will help them compete more effectively. Shutl.
- Ecommerce businesses could add 6% to revenues using personalisation techniques like social proof, urgency and scarcity. Qubit.
- 89% of B2B businesses attribute growth to ecommerce and 48% of B2B businesses sell their full product range online. CloudCraze.
Seven in ten (69%) online shopping carts are abandoned
Customer experience statistics
- 67% of smartphone users say they look for the most relevant information regardless of the company providing it. Think with Google.
- British adults spend seven hours and 56 minutes consuming media. This includes two hours spent ‘dual screening’. IPA Touchpoints.
- 70% of consumers say that technology makes it easier than ever for them to take their business elsewhere. Salesforce.
- 75% of people expect a consistent experience across social media, mobile and in person. Salesforce.
- And 64% of consumers expect companies to interact with them without delay. Salesforce.
- 60% of 25 to 34-year olds say that they find it easier to chat to brands via text message, online chat or messenger apps. Mindshare
- 27% say they have used a chatbot to communicate with a brand. Mindshare.
- 47% of consumers said they expect a web page to load in two seconds or less. Kissmetrics.
- 54% of UK retailers suffer from ‘poor’ page speeds, taking up to nine seconds to load. Visualsoft.
- Visualsoft estimate that sites with a ‘poor’ pages will lose 29% of their potential customers because of the site speed. Visualsoft.
- 22% of marketing and digital professionals ranked ‘optimising the customer experience’ as the most exciting opportunity for the year ahead. Adobe Digital Trends Report.
Two-thirds (67%) of smartphone users search for the most relevant information, regardless of which company is providing it